An unexpected Hoard appeared at our house at an opportune moment. In it was the most delightful selection of snips and scraps, books, buttons and lace…Carline dived right in and picked out a beautiful Turkey Red print…
In this picture you can see several things I normally do when dolly dressmaking, all with the intention of making the dress drape and fit nicely.
First, the lining is very flimsy, worn thin gauze, a much lighter weight than the bodice fabric.
Second, the dress fabric at the front is cut on the (almost) straight of the grain, but I’ve turned the lining to 45 degrees so the front has a bias lining.
Third, I’ve cut out the bodice and sewn the centre back and neck edge to the uncut lining fabric.
Fourth, I’ve stitched up the centre back and around to the shoulder area using a back stitch. Around the front of the neck area to the second shoulder, it is a running stitch. I pull this part of the stitching very slightly then anchor it at the second shoulder, before finishing with a back stitch. Doing this will round the neck area slightly, which will make it lie flatter against the doll’s chest.
I will next cut the part of the lining following along the centre back and neck of the bodice (the edge where I’ve stitched). Then snip the curved neck edge up to the stitching line, and then turn the whole thing right side out. Then I will baste along all the raw edges of the bodice piece, and Then finally cut off the excess lining fabric.
Half-pint and Carline are excited about the impending clothes!
We like to wear red!
Two dresses for two happy girls.